This category includes lots of subcategories for which we made separate rules. After some discussion of the relevance of not watching tv for this experiment we have decided to cancel our cable subscription. This means we won’t be able to watch live television, but we will be able to watch a DVD or to watch tv shows that are broadcast via internet (e.g. via Uitzending Gemist). The guy at Ziggo I called to end our subscription was highly amused by our idea not to watch tv anymore. He wished us a happy television-less 2010 :-). Wow. This will save us so much time!!
- If we want to read a book, news paper or magazine, we do not buy it. Instead, we go to the library or borrow it from friends.
- If we have newspapers or magazines that we have finished, we give it away to someone else.
- We only have subscriptions to magazines that contribute to our consumeless and sustainable lifestyle.
This includes magazines of sustainable good causes and consumers’ associations provding information and tips about sustainable lifestyles and products.
Music and movies:
- If we want to have a CD or watch a movie, we do not buy it or go to the cinema nor buy the DVD. Instead, we go to the library or borrow it from friends.
- We only pay for day trips or events if they contribute to a consumeless or sustainable lifestyle.
Such trips or events might include lectures, workshops, festivals, etc. from which we expect to learn more about consuming less and sustainability.
- We take public transportation if time, luggage and location allow.
- For day trips and events, the Travel and Food & drink rule of preparing food ourselves as much as possible applies.
This includes bringing water, making our own lunch (e.g. by bringing a lunch box or by buying ingredients for a picknick). If we really have no other option but eating/drinking out, we try to order organic, seasonal and locally produced products (cf. the rule of not going out for food & drinks).
To the other categories:
Back to Our rules
Back to Blog